In the 1100s a nunnery was built here. Many such homes for women were built around that time, housing women who sought to live lives of holy service.
The first building was likely wooden and was probably replaced around 1160 by a stone church, smaller than the present building with elegant cloisters. The nunnery was dissolved in 1539 and all but the church was demolished. The church was rebuilt in 1625.